Highland Pairos

Default Large chip production and dust collection

As I am waiting for the delivery of my dust collector, I have been planning
out the piping runs and the upgrades that I will be making. I already have
a Wynn filter here waiting for it. I have been thinking about the need for
a separator this whole time. My understanding is that there are two primary
reasons for a separator. One is to reduce the frequency of bag changes, the
second is to protect the impeller and the filter from sizeable chips coming
through and damaging one or both. In the couple of weeks since I got my
new machines (TS, jointer and planer) I have noticed that none of them
produce chips that seem to be potential sources of damage to my DC. The TS
produces mostly dust, as expected, and the jointer and planer produce mostly
fluffy shavings.

My question is what kind of machines or what kind of operations produce the
kind of chips that will damage a DC?

SteveP.

Patriarch

"Highland Pairos" wrote in
:

[...]

Floor sweeps.

Band saws.

Drill press chip collection, perhaps.

The table saw sometimes sucks in thin offcuts, which I would prefer to
stop, prior to their wedging themselves in the overhead ducting.

Before I redid my system, with a trash can cyclone. I found also that
picking up hand plane curlies with a wand on a hose tended to cause said
curlies to wrap themselves around the impeller (fan).

All good reasons to spend either a couple of hours, and/or $50, and
buy/build a seperator.

Patriarch
Highland Pairos

I do plan to buy/build a separator at some point, probably a cyclone unit.
I am going to run 6" from the impeller to the machines, so that kind of
kills the use of a trash can unit.

SteveP.

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 97.136...
"Highland Pairos" wrote in
:

[...]

Woodchuck34

SteveP,

I haven't noticed any problems with impeller damage. I do use a zero
clearance insert on the TS which probably does as much as anything to
reduce the problem.

I also noticed no problems with chips on the Jointer and Planer. I do
make very small incremental passes on both though.

The biggest problem I have faced has been the shaving from the Jointer
and Planer, clogging the tube from the DC. I use a Delta unit that I
hook up to each machine when I run them. Without a seperater on these
machines, its almost impossible to run without clogging the DC.

I made a very simple seperater. It is a small Rubbermaid toughneck
trash can with 2 holes (1 for input, 1 for output) and a section of PVC
pipe. Then I screwed a board across the can near the input side.
Works like a charm.

Chuck

mac davis

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 06:06:28 GMT, "Highland Pairos"
wrote:

6" or 3", no problem if you're building it... mine is just a plastic trash can
with 2 4" elbows, so your's would be 6" fittings... otherwise the same thing..

Every time I'm using the DC and hear something bigger than curls land in the
separator, i'm glad that I made it.. *g*

I can also use it on the floor under the lathe, bandsaw, etc. without worrying
about larger chips, small screws, etc... also, a trash can is a lot easier to
empty, so I tend to use the DC more for floor than I would if I was emptying
bags on the DC.. YMMV

I do plan to buy/build a separator at some point, probably a cyclone unit.
I am going to run 6" from the impeller to the machines, so that kind of
kills the use of a trash can unit.

SteveP.

"Patriarch" wrote in message
.97.136...
"Highland Pairos" wrote in
:

[...]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Have you guys seen Grizzly's new cyclone unit?

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emNumber=G0443

Pretty impressive if you need something that big. I've read through a
lot of posts and web pages about (true) cyclones, and it would seem
that conceptually, all DC machines should be built this way, but in
the real world, I guess a "small" cyclone doesn't work? By small I
mean, why couldn't you have a 1HP compact cyclone that used a diesel
truck air filter? I mean, when you really think about it, the only
thing different about a conventional DC and a Cyclone DC is reshaping
some tin and placement of the fan.

A possible alternative to the cyclone is Jets barrel setup.

http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/index.cf...tail&iid=11785

From a space-saving point of view, this supposedly works pretty well,
and you get the benefits of the cyclone concept without the
frankenstein in the corner. There are other brands that do the same
thing, offer a 2-stage DC without a true cyclone.

Mike

wrote:

[...]

include some floor sweeps in your duct runs. very convenient for
cleanup. also where you're likely to pick up chunks.
George

wrote in message
A possible alternative to the cyclone is Jets barrel setup.

http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/index.cf...tail&iid=11785

From a space-saving point of view, this supposedly works pretty well,
and you get the benefits of the cyclone concept without the
frankenstein in the corner. There are other brands that do the same
thing, offer a 2-stage DC without a true cyclone.

I've got the Delta that this one's spawned from, and stuff hits the bag only
after the can's full.

Highland Pairos

Thanks for all the insights. I may see about making one of the quick
homemade trash can separators for now. It sounds like that is just a matter
of cutting some holes in a can lid and inserting a fitting. I definitely
plan to install some floorsweeps and probably a drop for 2.5" vacuum hose.

SteveP.

"Highland Pairos" wrote in message
I do plan to buy/build a separator at some point, probably a cyclone unit.
I am going to run 6" from the impeller to the machines, so that kind of
kills the use of a trash can unit.

SteveP.

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 97.136...
"Highland Pairos" wrote in
:

[...]

Mark

I added a seperator to my puny 1 HP unit along with a larger top bag.
While the larger top bag didn't make much difference, I noticed an increase
in performance with the addition of the seperator. I assume this is from
two things. First, the bottom bag doesn't fill up nearly as fast. Second,
I think the 45 gallon trash can is acting like a vacuum tank to a degree.
Of course, the seperator is much easier to deal with when it comes time to
empty. With a good stack of boards, I've produced three trashcans full of
fluffy shavings in an afternoon.
Mark

[...]

Patriarch

"Highland Pairos" wrote in
:

Thanks for all the insights. I may see about making one of the quick
homemade trash can separators for now. It sounds like that is just a
matter of cutting some holes in a can lid and inserting a fitting. I
definitely plan to install some floorsweeps and probably a drop for
2.5" vacuum hose.

SteveP.

There has been substantial discussion of the subtlties of shop made lids.
a Google search should find those insights for you. A taller can seems to
be better, BTW.

Enjoy!

Patriarch