Martin Rost

Default Friction Polish

I use a friction polish that is I make by mixing shellac, alcohol and boiled
linseed oil. This mixture has been discussed plenty of times here and in
other resources. My question is what are the trade offs in replacing the
linseed oil with tung oil? I know that tung oil is more expensive, but for
me, $30 would probably buy enough shellac, alcohol and tung oil to have
friction polish for over a year. It seems to me that tung oil has more
desirable properties than BLO. IIRC Tung oil doesn't darken as much as BLO
over time. It's more water resistant and cures harder (relative term, after
all how hard does an oil get). What if any are the disadvantages in using
tung oil instead of BLO?

--
Martin
Long Island, New York