Pete C

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 20:32:18 +0000, Edgar Iredale
wrote:

I have just bought a Frigidaire upright freezer. Reading the booklet I
discover it is only intended to operate in ambient temperatures between
16degC and 32degC. I have never seen such a restriction before and have
used freezers in unheated undercover outside spaces - garages and utility
rooms etc. without trouble. Should I have known of this restriction?

First can anyone explain just what happens if I run it in a colder space?

Secondly should the shop I bought it from (Currys) have told me this before
I bought it? And should they accept it back and refund the full price? The
unit was delivered, unpacked and positioned by their agents. Apart from
opening the door to find the operating booklet nothing has been done to the
unit. It hasn't been plugged in.

Thirdly is there a way of overcoming the low temperature ambient problem.
I need an upright freezer and it has to go in a utility room merely kept
frost free.

Fourthly are there any upright freezers available that will run in 0degC
ambient? It doesn't seem much to ask as many people must use freezers in
these conditions - for example in kitchens when they go on holiday.

BTW Currys telephone Customer Services said, in other words,"Oh dear. The
manufacturers won't honour the guarantee.Talk to the branch.". The branch
said "It'll work, but the manufacturers probably won't honour the guarantee
if they know.". They did offer the take back the unit but only at a reduced
price "because it's your fault.".

Edgar

Hi,

Why not phone Frigidaire up and ask them? I wonder if the compressor
oil on modern freezers may get too thick at low temps.

Also try the forums at http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com, they
should have some helpful advice.

cheers,
Pete.