Tom Gardner

One of my computer customers (my hobby business, 20 years, 12 customers)
bypassed the security I put in place to keep employees off the net except on
one isolated machine. Result: over two days down-time on their accounting
package including order entry, shop orders and billing. Cost to the
company: They estimate $18,000 plus lost customers. Think twice!!!

wrote in message
ups.com...
OK this is 99 and 44/100% OT, but you guys know everything.

The place I work has an IT department straight out of a
Dilbert cartoon. For a department of 15, we have been allowed
1 (!) internet computer, located in the far corner of our area.
Major nusiance. We use this alot, and would like to set up
a clandestine sub-network off of our department computer, to
get web access to our desks. We asked repeatedly via offical
channels and where refused, with no explaniation. Never a group
to avoid from such a challange, I turn to you for help.

Our internet connection is a T1, distributed over an internal
network, seperate from the "regular" company network. We originally
tried the obvious, which was to plug a hub into where our web computer
is and distribute from there, but it won't work. I found out that the
system is set up to communicate only with the MAC address of the
specific ethernet card in that computer. It ignores any other network
device that is plugged into it.

Now I understand that it is possible to put 2 network cards in 1
computer. Is that true, and would it be possible to do that and
use the second network card to allow "passthrough" (for lack of
a better term) access to the web? What would it take, SW and HW wise?

As I am sure you have gathered, I am not any sort of networking
expert, but maybe know just enough to be dangerous. Any ideas or
suggestions as to the best way to accomplish this?

All of these computers are P3's (sad, I know...) running Win98 or
98SE.

Thanks for any suggestions!