Edgar Iredale

Bob Mannix wrote:

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

"Edgar Iredale" wrote in message
nightjar wrote:

That's what I thought so I'll probably accept the freezer and try to
find DIY methods to keep it working if they are needed. And that's why

it
would be good to know just exactly what the problem with low ambient
temperatures really is.

I had a freezer running out in the garage while the temperature dropped
below zero. It seized solid and the compressor wouldn't run at all. After
the temperature rose it would run again. Hardly a representative sample,
I know, but his might be one of the effects you were asking after. It's
possible things have got worse since a move to "greener" refrigerant

fluids,
I suppose.

This is all the Whirlpool FAQ site has to say:

Will a freezer work properly if it is very cold or hot in my garage?
You must have the temperature set properly. Temperatures should not go
below 40°F or hotter than 100°F for proper operation. If temperatures are
lower than 40°F your thermostat may not allow the product to turn on based
on colder than normal temperatures. The warmer the ambient temperature is
(above 100°F) the more the product will run, and it will be less
efficient.

40F / 5C I could cope with by turning up the anti frost heater. But 60F /
16C is a different thing altogether.

Anyway thanks for that and for the story. I had heard that the motor might
not run in too cold circumstances.

Edgar