bole2cant

"Bob in Oregon"
I have used kerosene in the past to remove rust from tools. It is also
of course used as oil in lanterns. I used it the other day to my
surprise to clean some greasy parts up and it worked great. I got to
thinking about it and am a little puzzled, since most solvents do not
act as oils and vice versa. What exactly is kerosene, and what do you
use it for?

I can't answer your questions but want to point out that NOTHING stinks worse
than OLD kerosene--as in a lamp.

Long story short, we had a lamp on the mantle for about five years. Thought the
(slight) stink was from soil/plants or insulation in old house. Moved. Stink
followed. Finally discovered stink coming out of tall lamp chimney. Wife dumped
it out onto paper towels to dispose of it. I couldn't breathe. Had to leave the
house. Took three days to air out the house.

-Doug