Default "Smoothing" ceiling.... (removing artex & plastering)

Well we all know rough artex is out of fashion!

I'm about to gut our en-suite shower room and hence I will be (have
been) on here doing far too much research instead of working. Small
room - only seen by me & the missus. So a good room to practice on!

The FAQ suggests steaming off the existing artex - so I will do this
over the weekend. Then cut holes for recessed halogen lights. If it
is still rough I'll sand it fairly smooth.

But before painting I assume it'll need a thin skim of plaster. Is it
plaster or is there something else to use? And does this just bond to
the plasterboard or does it need some form of preparation/adhesive?

Cheers!