nightjar

"Edgar Iredale" wrote in message
I have just bought a Frigidaire upright freezer. Reading the booklet I
discover it is only intended to operate in ambient temperatures between
16degC and 32degC. I have never seen such a restriction before and have
used freezers in unheated undercover outside spaces - garages and utility
rooms etc. without trouble. Should I have known of this restriction?

It is a normal restriction on freezers sold for domestic use. I have known
of it for a long time. I have no idea whether there is any reason that you
should have known or not.

First can anyone explain just what happens if I run it in a colder space?

The temperature regulation does not work properly.

Secondly should the shop I bought it from (Currys) have told me this
before
I bought it?

I can see no reason why they should have drawn that restriction to your
attention any more than, say, that you should stand it with the top
uppermost. We have not reached the stage of America, where consumers can sue
if they are not told every little detail, usually in the form of large
placards.

And should they accept it back and refund the full price?

It is your choice to use the device in a manner not intended by the
manufacturer, who designed it for use in a domestic kitchen, where a minimum
temperature of 16C is not an unreasonable assumption.

Thirdly is there a way of overcoming the low temperature ambient problem.

Ignore it, as you have done in the past. The freezers you have used before
would have had exactly the same restriction. If they have run without you
noticing anything, this one will do just as well as they did.

Fourthly are there any upright freezers available that will run in 0degC
ambient?

SFAIK, not from suppliers of domestic kitchen equipment.

Colin Bignell