Owen Lowe

In article , "George" george@least
wrote:

Unless your governing body is exceptionally generous, you _must_ collect and
pay sales tax, except on one-time sales of personal property. You don't
have to have an EIN to pay tax in my state, they take it based on SSAN.

When I was in business in Arizona, the state didn't care whether the
buyer paid sales tax or not - only that the seller submitted the proper
amount to the state. Most businesses pass the tax along to the customer
as an itemized part of the transaction, but that wasn't any state
requirement.

After a particularly busy feeding frenzy of purchasers a few years back, I
started rolling taxes into my prices and rounding to the quarter (favoring
me, of course). If I hadn't, my daughter suggested she would never help me
sell again. Since I enjoy shooting the breeze with other wood lovers more
than making change and bagging, I took her advice.

Keeping taxes separate, unless the taxing body requires it, is one of
those mental games retailers use to appear less expensive than the
competition. Instead of rolling the tax into the price, which would
amount to the same out of pocket to the consumer, the retailer keeps it
separate in order to play with appearances. I don't see woodturners
losing customers by rolling taxes in since crafts aren't generally the
commodity that manufactured goods are.

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long