David

I just gotta ask: don't you place the workpiece down on the table, so
that an perpendicularity issue with the fence is moot? The lower edge
of the fence generally should be EVER so slightly closer to the bit than
the top edge (I'm talking a few thousandths), under ideal conditions,
but it isn't that critical.

If you hold the wood vertically, then of course the fence needs to be as
close to vertical as possible.

Dave

Brian Siano wrote:

I just started on my first _real_ project, and I figured I'd be able to
use my Porter Cable router table and a 2" long straight-cut bit as a
jointer. Maybe you know how this is done: the infeed fence is about
1/16" back from the bit, and the outfeed side of the fence is set at the
bit's edge. And since the P-C table has a two=part fence, this is pretty
easy.

Nope. As it turns out... well, the two metal brackets that hold the
wooden fence pieces? That _look_ as though they hold them at 90 degrees
to the plane of the table itself? Nahh. They're just a hair off of true
vertical. So the mahogany I jointed was jointed at something like 89
degrees.

Grrr. I could probably fudge the project by that much (I'm not making a
table top, after all). But still....