Darrell Feltmate

George
I like your comments on "steak and sizzle." I used to live within ten
minutes of a professional turner. I was turning craft (I like to think high
quality craft, but craft none the less) and he was turning art. Both of us
overlapped a fair bit. We were also good friends and still are. I would turn
a salad bowl similar to one of his. Mine sold for $75.00 and his for
$200.00. Part of his "sizzle" was his reputation, well earned and enjoyed.
Collectors bought his work more so than did the casual buyer. They bought
mine. We sold in the same place and in fact he had some of my turnings in
his gallery. No conflict there. On the other hand, there was a regional
pricing of most things as a starting price. No collusion, no price fixing,
just a thought of what a piece of a certain type should bring. Part of the
gentleman's agreement was to keep people like me, a hobby turner, from
affecting the income of the pros.
On the other hand, there was another turner in the area trying to become
pro. Both my friend and I helped him with technique and such. I had a vase
for sale at about $80.00, my pro friend had a similar one for sale at
$300.00, the new guy had a similar one for sale at $260.00. The pro sold his
first as I recall, I sold mine second, and as far as I know the new guy
still has his after these years. He needed more sizzle to justify the extra
cost.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate