Will

Lobby Dosser wrote:
I think everyone 'accepts' the premise. I don't think some of us believe
that a turner who does not price effectively has much effect on the
market. If that turner is full time, they will not last. If they are
part time, they will not be making much product.

You don't have to make a lot of product to depress the market. You don't
even have to sell it. You just have to make a low value product and
offer it. That is usually enough to encourage people to buy neither.

Think about the mechanism. Good horses usually win by a "nose". Same
with any good work. Most good work is "a little bit better in all the
details" -- apparently to the consumer.

So -- if you were buying a work and there were $100 pieces and $900
pieces -- very similar except the more expensive piece was a bit better
in all the respects -- actually making a much better piece in reality.
Would you wait to see if the expensive piece were lowered in price? Bet
you would.

If you were the seller -- would you eventually cave-in on your price?
Probably.

The lower price is usually set by somebody wanting to pay for their
lathe (saw or whatever) and their supplies.

Their work is usually "good" but not "great". Since that is the majority
of the crafts market -- that is probably how the pricing is set.

This was pretty terse. The explanation should take a lot more care --
but I have a stool to make today since I decide not to go to the PDAC
except for the last day - tomorrow. Let the younger folks stand around
all day. :-)

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek