Will

Derek Andrews wrote:
Owen Lowe wrote:

As long as they declare their income, I don't mind competition of
that nature.

What do you mean by declaring their income? Taxes?

Yes. Income taxes and sales, taxes where required by law. It's very easy
to turn a hobby like turning into an income generator, but when it grows
beyond selling to friends and relatives, my ethics tell me I should pay
my dues.

That could make you unusual. (Not a criticism nor praise -- just an
observation.)

The sales tax is probably the most visible issue. Every show I do (which
thankfully isn't many) I get customers complaining about having to pay
sales tax, or point blank refusing.

Then price them "taxes-in" and keep your thoughts to yourself on the
issue. It's easy to work the calculation backwards and submit the
required taxes. (I was going to say "appropriate" not required - but we
know how much "appropriate" is in this case.) This is done all the time
in these "sensitive" markets.

I'm sure that most people who have
to collect this do so, but the craft show circuit I am into is full of
part-timers who don't sell enough to have to register.

Derek:

Is it possible to move up-market? Are you restricted by a combination of
time, geography and cost?

Best wishes.

Nice web site.

--