Greg Deputy

Just looked at the motor placard on the outside of the machine again. It
appears its not a 7.5hp, but a 5hp after all. I guess that means I've got
overkill for a phase converter (10hp), but better to much than not enough,
right?

The plate says 8/16 Amps, so I guess 16 amps is the rating. I've got 6
gauge wire run from the box for the circuit, and a 50 amp fuse.

"Grady" wrote in message
There should be a wiring diagram on the motor to show which leads to

connect
where to change the voltage. Also, where does the coolant pump tie in at?
Hopefully it is on the 110 volt side of the transformer. Be sure you have
the correct size wire for the full load amp rating of unit at 220 volt.
Since you are going from 440 to 220 volts the current draw will double.

What
is the full load amp rating on motor and what size wire do you have pulled
for this circuit?

"Greg Deputy" wrote in message
Yeah, the transformer diagram indicates 110v out the secondary, and has

2
configurations for the primary, 440v or 220v.

So how would one normally go about rewiring the motor for 220v? Is it
likely i'm going to need direct access to the motor? As installed it is
all
buried inside the cabinet, so i guess i'll have to pull the thing out.

"Grady" wrote in message
Cant quite read the va rating on the transformer, but more than likely
the
transformer is just for all of the control circuitry. This would

include
any
pilot lights, coils for contactors, etc.I doubt that it is inteded for
anything else. When you say rewire the transformer, I am assuming that

it
is
on the primary side to convert you rew input voltage to the 220 volt

you
have at your place. If you can successfully change the control
transformer
primary to still have the same output it now requires, and rewire the

motor
to accept 220 volt, you should be in good shape.

"Greg Deputy" wrote in message
Thanks in advance for any advice on my questions below.

I'm in the process of wiring up a new (to me) lathe, which is

currently
set
up with a 7.5hp 3 phase 440v motor. It also has a coolant system, if

that
makes any difference.

I have a new 220v circuit in place, and a 10hp phase converter. I'm

under
the impression that the motor works at 220v as well as 440v with just

wiring change, due to the motor placard on the lathe and from what

the
seller told me.

What i'm unsure about is how the wiring is changed when going from

440v
220v. I opened up the electrical panel and was at first somewhat

worried
about all the 'stuff'' in there. Picture at

www.blastzone.com/newlathe/102_1645.jpg

After looking at it for a while I found what I believe needs to be

changed
to go from 440v to 220v. The transformer, pictured at

www.blastzone.com/newlathe/102_1646.jpg

On the transformer face are 2 diagrams for how to wire it for 220v

and
440v
(as seen in the picture above).

My question is this. Is re-wiring this transformer the only thing I

need
change? What is going to be damaged if there's something else? I'm

little hesitant to power it all up since i'm not 100% sure on what

i'm
doing
here.

I did look inside where the motor itself is, but there isnt much to

be
seen
the

www.blastzone.com/newlathe/102_1649.jpg

Also, the actual wiring point on the outside has some pretty small
wires
compared to what the 200v circuit and wiring from the phase converter

is,
which also has me wondering.

www.blastzone.com/newlathe/102_1655.jpg

I appreciate the help i've gotten here so far, and look forward to

what
you
have to say. Thanks.

Greg Deputy