Eric Tonks

A method I have seen used around here (Ontario, Canada) is to run the
incoming ground wire under the box ground screw with a 4 to 6 inch length
extending past the screw, then use a wire nut to attach all the other ground
wires together. It keeps the wire bulk down to a minimum.

"HorneTD" wrote in message
nk.net...
Robert11 wrote:
Hi,

I posted a question a while back regarding whether it was code

permissible
to ground
the green wire grounds in a gang box by using a single screw that was

also
used to secure the
box to a wooden joist. Responses were that it was not, and you must use

dedicated screw.
Good information.

One reply also said that:

"The code also requires that a suitable connector
must be used to splice the EGCs. just twisting them around each other
is no enough. "

Questions:

a. What's an EGC ?

Grounding Conductor, Equipment. The conductor used to connect the
non–current-carrying metal parts of equipment, raceways, and other
enclosures to the system grounded conductor, the grounding electrode
conductor, or both, at the service equipment or at the source of a
separately derived system.

b. does this mean that if I have, e.g., two green ground wires in a

box, I
should twist them together with an Additional pigtail, put a screw
twist-type connector over them, and then just run the new single pigtail

the ground screw ?

You will need a second pig tail for the device if it needs one.
What's wrong with just twisting together the two green ground leads and
running them together to the
screw (perhaps adding a small flat washer over them if the buildup looks

bit large for the screw head) ?
Adding an additional pigtail seems like a bit much.

Thoughts on ?

Thanks,
B.

That is in fact what the US NEC requires. There is a listed pressure
connector that has a hole in the tip for the longer EGC to be extended
to the grounding screw. It is commonly called a greenie. A crimp
sleeve can be used in the same way.
--
Tom H