Ed

"djay" wrote

Relplacing the gate valve with a ball valve. The gate handle is broken.
The ball valve is brass with sweat fittings. I will be replacing the
pressure regulator while I'm at it because the house is 20 years old.
Anyway, I noticed that the Ball Valve has, what seems to be, some plastic
lining around the ball valve. Is there a risk of this lining melting when
I apply the torch? Is there any procedure I need to be aware of to keep
it from melting? Am I just paranoid? Guy at the plumbing store says that
it takes a lot to melt them and I shouldn't have a problem. Any
suggestions?

Thanks,

DJay

If your water is supplied by the town or city you live in those items may
belong to them and can be replaced by them free of charge. Call and check
with them.