SQLit

"djay" wrote in message
news:i4cWd.56002$uc.2781@trnddc03...
Relplacing the gate valve with a ball valve. The gate handle is broken.
The ball valve is brass with sweat fittings. I will be replacing the
pressure regulator while I'm at it because the house is 20 years old.
Anyway, I noticed that the Ball Valve has, what seems to be, some plastic
lining around the ball valve. Is there a risk of this lining melting when

apply the torch? Is there any procedure I need to be aware of to keep it
from melting? Am I just paranoid? Guy at the plumbing store says that it
takes a lot to melt them and I shouldn't have a problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

DJay

You do not mention the size. 1 inch is a lot harder than 1/2 inch to sweat.
What I do is use a threaded connector soldered to a length of pipe before it
is connected to the valve. Threads covered in Teflon tape and pipe dope.
Tighten as needed. If I have to, I will use a union to keep the heat away
from the valve.