Barrie Hiern

Hello, been there and when I did that I used a ball valve with threaded
ends, solder about 3"-4" of pipe onto the threaded connector and then attach
those to the ball valve. When you go to solder the valve in the 3-4" of
already installed pipe is the heat sink to protect the ball lining.
Barrie

"Dave Morrison" wrote in message
djay wrote:
Relplacing the gate valve with a ball valve. The gate handle is broken.
The ball valve is brass with sweat fittings. I will be replacing the
pressure regulator while I'm at it because the house is 20 years old.
Anyway, I noticed that the Ball Valve has, what seems to be, some

plastic
lining around the ball valve. Is there a risk of this lining melting

when I
apply the torch? Is there any procedure I need to be aware of to keep

it
from melting? Am I just paranoid? Guy at the plumbing store says that

it
takes a lot to melt them and I shouldn't have a problem. Any

suggestions?

Thanks,

DJay

A couple of tips, wrap the body of the valve with a wet rag, and use a
hot torch. Get in heat it up fast and get out. Mapp gas in a Turbo torch
is my favorite.
Dave