Owen Lowe

In article arHWd.41896$uc.15903@trnddc01,
Lobby Dosser wrote:

I suspect not very much at all. Take the $900 vs $100 hollow form. They
are totally different markets. How many $900 items do you see at the
average craft fair? How many $100 items at the average juried show or
upscale gallery? Folks who sell at prices which do not reflect the time
and materials - particularly the time - are not likely to be doing it
for a living and probably not selling very much at all.

Notice that I left skill out of the equation.. I think that a skilled
and talented turner will know that they are and price accordingly.

Apparently not.

According to Darrell's account, the $100 hollow form imitation *was*
presented in the same market as the $900 original. And other than a
signature on the bottom it was indistinguishable from the work of the
known turner. Why should we excuse the non-pro turner who may not rely
on sales for a living and may not price his product in such a way as to
reflect his time, skills and direct expenses? Might the juxtaposition of
these two indistinguishable, as to maker, objects cause the higher
priced one to be passed over in favor of the inexpensive one? (I argued
in past posts that the $100 price was certainly, in my opinion,
unrealistically priced too low - while I suspect the $900 is high though
much closer to an accurate return for the turner's input.)

Actually your comments bring us right back to the original posting about
plagiarism. Ellsworth's article says (paraphrasing) that copying someone
else's design is a natural desire and should be encouraged as a learning
process. Displaying these things in your personal surroundings is to be
expected. However he draws the line when price tags are put on the
imitations. He says, "... copying for the purpose of learning can become
a tool for self-discovery. Copying for profit is simply a way of
stealing another person's voice and using it as if it were our own."

The pieces I'm excited about making for the future take me a lot of
time. Upwards of 18-20 hours - i.e. half a week. I don't see the time
coming down a whole lot as experience with the process grows. I plan on
being paid fairly for my design, turning and finishing skills - as well
as being able to purchase new tools, supplies, covering sales costs,
etc. I'm going to be ****ed off when someone who works outside turning
makes his imitations in the evenings over several weeks and sells them
for 20% of what I know is a reasonable price. Almost makes me want to
hoard the design and protect what I've created from imitators who could
care less that they are taking from me.

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long