Harold and Susan Vordos

"RainLover" wrote in message
On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 01:40:44 -0800, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"RainLover" wrote in message
news

SNIP (hehe)

I just wanted to make a statement here... I'm somewhat of an audio man
myself... and a Sculptor to boot...

I created a pair of 54" high speakers carved from one large piece of
Basalt (harder than granite)... They won an award at the last
International VSAC (Vacuum State of the Art Convention)... yes,
that's vacuum as in Tube Amplifiers.

Anyway, as an artist... the Speakers are for sale (of course). Photos
and more information on them can be found at my web site:

www.jameskelseystudios.com

I'm 90% a metal sculptor but I do like my stone now and then....

We now continue with our regular programing.... already in
progress...

James, Seattle

Very interesting, James. How's the sound? Can't imagine you get any

strange
noises from the enclosures.

Harold

They sound incredibly crisp and live. At VSAC, I had a couple of
African CDs.. Lot's of acappella and drums... as well as a wide
variety of vocalizing. They blew away the competion.

It was fun, most people didn't know they were mine, so I was able to
sit in the room and listen to comments.... I never get that sort of
feedback alone in my studio.

The stone itself is thick enough as to not allow the sound vibrations
to travel from the drivers to the enclosures, and inside, because I
used a 2" core drill to hollow them out, there's no smooth surface for
any sort of reverberation or echo.

They sounded incredible... although, the flee amps (under 1 or 2
watts) couldn't power them since the drivers took a bit more, but with
a robust 5 watt amplifier, they sang out.

That I can easily believe. When I'm listening to music, not the system (it's
different) I'm astonished at how little wattage it takes to fill a room for
comfortable listening.. Our McIntosh amp has meters that are reputed to
track wattage precisely---The meters are equipped with switches to select
ranges, so a few watts can be a full scale on the meters.

It's too bad I don't have the high-end audio equipment at my home in
order to do them justice.... so here, they just sit as sculpture.

Agreed! I can only imagine how well they might respond to some serious
power.

Way cool, James.

Harold