tekman

mc wrote:
I have a Tektronixs 422 scope that I've had for years. I'm getting

ready to
put it up on eBay - but is has a "whine" when it's on. The traces

are fine,
everything works - but I want to be honest and not have any buyer

trouble.

Is this normal in an older scope?

No, not normal. But may happen.

What is it, can it be fixed? It's a
really nice older "vintage" scope - just never use it and need to

find a
good home for it.

Cause forthe whine may be :
1. old caps (dried out electrolytics which lost part of their capacity.

2. Loose or broken ferrite core on the inverter transfomer.
3. An overload on one voltage -- but very unlikely in your case bec.
you mention: "all other behaviour as normal, trace okay, etc."

please email me at since my newsreader

service
never seems to keep any old messeges.

No email -- you have to look on the NG-- the reason for a newsgroup
that many people can read the answer and participate from them.

With email, that's not possible.

hth,
Andreas