pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show "PrecisionMachinisT"
wrote back on Sat, 5 Mar 2005 23:46:52
-0800 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

"carl mciver" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Machinists" is a general term for all the mechanics, electricians,
plumbers, etc that build the planes. Name of the union, IAM, BTW. In
order to be a "real" machinist at Boeing, you have to go through an
apprenticeship which you really have to want in order to get it. I'm
thinking about it, but not willing to take a 25% pay cut in order to get better pay five
years down the road.

They just are all members of IAM is what they have in common--the
apprentice program really has little bearing.

During the time I was with Boeing, I held at least temporary union
classifications for lathes, milling machines, boring mill, grinding machine,
cnc multiple tool, machine cell operator, maintenance machinist, toolmaker
and probly a few more.

I never went through their apprentice program though--why should I .....that
would have meant substantial pay cut right at the get-go......

But does this all mean Im not *really* a machinist ???

Ummm, take it up with either the union or management, which ever you
think will get you the answer you want. :-)

--
pyotr filipivich.