OldNick

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 19:16:32 -0500, Roy Smith vaguely
proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Yeah. I got into a duscussion" with somebody on rec.boats.building
about this. He was grizzling that no locals would work for him on his
boat project, so he found some Mexicans who were willing to do the
work. "Why are the local guys so lazy?"

He could not see that it was simply that the Mexicans were desperate,
he was _still_ offering better than they got at home, and he was only
going have to pay **** wages, with no safety training, because this
_was_ after all "unskilled labour".

Or if he could see that, he thought it was OK.

The real sad cases are the "ill-trained" variety. Around here, a lot of
construction help is day labor. There's street corners where guys looking
for work hang out. You need three pairs of hands for a day, you drive by
with your truck, hold up three fingers, and three guys jump in.

You stick a tool in the guy's hand and show him where the trigger is.
Safety training probably consists of "Be careful, this thing can hurt you".