Bjarte Runderheim

"Arch" skrev i melding
There is a current thread unravelling on this ng about plagiarism. IMO,
it is pertinent, timely and thought provoking; the type of thread that
makes rcw endure repetitious banality, spam, trolls, fools and the mean
of spirit. There is some good stuff for woodturners there.

Plagiarism is a nasty word, only fit for lawyers and commercial artists.

("commercial" - "artist" - something is not quite harmonious in the
nearness of those two words - - - am I thinking of designers, not artists?)

All great artists have been copied, and will be copied, and it should be so.

The problems only arise in two cases, in IMO, and that is when you
copy from others once and say you had the idea yourself, which you may have
had; and then when you copy from others and commercialize the product
in your own name.

In both cases, as far as woodturning is concerned, it would be silly
and counterproductive for the original artist or designer to make a fuss.

Who can seriously say about a bowl: "Mine is the very first and original
bowl".
"Noone ever made something like this before, and I want all legal rights for
myself".

Anyone trying this must really be in need of a new hobby.
(Or - should maybe set up shop as a lawyer?)

Bjarte

There was a time when woodturners were few and far between. Membership
in guild-like organizations with rules of behaviour and a stamp of
quality similar to the good housekeeping or underwriter's "seal of
approval" might have protected turners and buyers alike then. Not now.
Turners and consumers are too diverse and widespread and the craft is
too easily taken up for ethics, or quality to be regulated or even
desired by the majority.

OTOH, we are and will remain minnows in a big pond. You think otherwise?
Ask at the next club meeting about rcw or any other forum and see the
blank stares. Ask at a museum or art show about AAW or GMC and see what
you get. Most all public places and upscale homes are devoid of our art
and our treen isn't used in their kitchens. You think our leading lights
are household names? Ask around. It's ... who?

Is there a point to my musing? Not really.
Although it's fine to cuss and discuss our pleasures and problems among
ourselves, there is a life outside. In the greater arena, I suspect
that, though important to us, claims of originality, legal protections
and ethical behaviours don't count for much. Patent claims and
copyrights, moral or otherwise are mostly hunting licenses in the small
business of woodturning.

So what!

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter