Will

Arch:

Importance? Hmmm.

Arch wrote:
There is a current thread unravelling on this ng about plagiarism. IMO,
it is pertinent, timely and thought provoking; the type of thread that
makes rcw endure repetitious banality, spam, trolls, fools and the mean
of spirit. There is some good stuff for woodturners there.

Hopefully woodworkers generally... I would never have thought too much
about this if the issues had not been raised. Now I carefully photograph
everything as I do it and track how I made it and where the ideas come
from. It actually makes things more enjoyable. I made a lot of stuff
previously and now -- gone. Only memories. At least now I have pictures. :-)

There was a time when woodturners were few and far between. Membership
in guild-like organizations with rules of behaviour and a stamp of
quality similar to the good housekeeping or underwriter's "seal of
approval" might have protected turners and buyers alike then. Not now.
Turners and consumers are too diverse and widespread and the craft is
too easily taken up for ethics, or quality to be regulated or even
desired by the majority.

Quite frankly I can do without guilds and pricing regimens. They have
their uses I am sure. Although when buying something it _is_ nice to
know that the craftsman "knew the basics" and that the work will not
fall apart due to ignorance on the part of the craftsman. That is why I
religiously read this forum.

At least I know enough to not make a "pithy" goblet now -- for example.
And all about sandpaper...

OTOH, we are and will remain minnows in a big pond.

or less... making little ripples in the ponds of time and all that. Just
keep the sharks away!

You think otherwise?
Ask at the next club meeting about rcw or any other forum and see the
blank stares. Ask at a museum or art show about AAW or GMC and see what
you get. Most all public places and upscale homes are devoid of our art
and our treen isn't used in their kitchens.

Well I know one of those, and one outta two ain't that bad. Right Arch?

You think our leading lights
are household names? Ask around. It's ... who?

Maybe in a couple of hundred years. The name of the craftsman is on a
lot of displays at the ROM. (I mentioned that display earlier.) Too bad
woodturners have to die to become (even close to) a "household name". :-(

Is there a point to my musing? Not really.

Except to tweak our noses and make us think? LOL

Although it's fine to cuss and discuss our pleasures and problems among
ourselves, there is a life outside.

Like what? Since when did selling a car or performing a surgical
procedure give the same thrill as caressing a finely turned piece of
wood? Get real! LOL!

In the greater arena, I suspect
that, though important to us, claims of originality, legal protections
and ethical behaviours don't count for much. Patent claims and
copyrights, moral or otherwise are mostly hunting licenses in the small
business of woodturning.

Actually theses are more important if you have employees or contractors
turning out work on your behalf. While I never mentioned it before, I
believe that copying and theft of ideas is a greater issue if you are in
business with employees.... And if you don't use employees or
contractors - all I can say is -- Wonderful -- keep it that way if you can!!

And if you do have employees establish the rules BEFORE you hire. If you
have employees discuss this at great length, move slowly and get verbal
agreements before papering any of this stuff. (It is too late now if you
are in that situation, so any agreement is better than nothing...)
Unless you _want_ them to quit. And having said that, you cannot prevent
a person from practicing their trade, so agreements have to be
reasonable. You can't claim "round" -- even though Kirk tried. LOL.
Turns out that the turners a few hundred years before us had discovered
it anyway...

So what!

Tomorrow is Monday and the start of another wonderful week. That's what!

There is a woodworking show at the CNE grounds, and I will be next door
at PDAC (Prospectors and Developers Convention at the Toronto Convention
Centre) - hopefully selling another gold mine or laying the seeds for
the years to come. Maybe I will get some time to do something useful --
maybe I can go to the wood show. That's good enough for me. :-)

There Arch -- more to think about. Does your head hurt yet? No? It
should! :-)

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Will