Lobby Dosser

Owen Lowe wrote:

In article D5oWd.25640$QQ3.912@trnddc02,
Lobby Dosser wrote:

Like anything else, they are worth what the market is willing to pay.

How much effect do folks who sell at very inexpensive prices (meaning
prices which may not accurately reflect the time, materials, skill,
etc. required to produce the product) have on keeping the market
depressed? (Rhetorical question unless someone wants to tackle it.)

I suspect not very much at all. Take the $900 vs $100 hollow form. They
are totally different markets. How many $900 items do you see at the
average craft fair? How many $100 items at the average juried show or
upscale gallery? Folks who sell at prices which do not reflect the time
and materials - particularly the time - are not likely to be doing it
for a living and probably not selling very much at all.

Notice that I left skill out of the equation.. I think that a skilled
and talented turner will know that they are and price accordingly.

Another question that comes to mind is how did Ellsworth price his work
when he started? I'd guess that none of the 'names' started selling as
full time turners.