Don Foreman

On 6 Mar 2005 12:30:07 -0800, wrote:

Hi all, I want pay someone to produce multiple copies of a piece of
metal in a certain shape. This piece of metal will be small (about 1 cm
x 1 cm x 1.5 millimeters.) It will have a small slit in it, which is
meant to fit snugly over another piece of metal, so the specified
dimensions of the metal piece being produced must be reproduced with a
very high amount of precision and accuracy.

I am pretty new and clueless to the world of metalworking, but I have a
background in the physical sciences and math, and am a fast learner.
Can anyone suggest a production method for this piece of metal that I'm
talking about? Perhaps die casting?

If anyone has any introduction to metalworking websites/documents that
they think would be helpful, I would greatly appreaciate any
suggestions here as well

You need to define "high precision" and "snugly" quantitatively to get
any useful responses. If you don't have a feel for tolerances in
clearances in mm (or microns), a description of function could be
helpful: "no perceptible play", etc. The required precision,
tolerances and quantity will define both the process used and the
cost.

If not all made in the same batch, the pieces that fit into the slit
will themselves have some thickness variation. How much? Depends on
what you specify, of course.