Steve Lusardi

I have commented on this subject often and I still find it amazing that the
mulifix toolposts used in Europe are just about unknown in North America.
They are infinitely better than any piston or wedge Aloris type quick change
toolpost, because the toolpost head is indexable every 15 degrees. They are
extremely well made and always returns to the same place. Additionally,
there are a large variety of different tool holders that are compatible and
many of these are not available in the Aloris type holders, like camming
toolholders for internal and external treading. An example can be found by
doing a search for multifix in eBay.de. They come in various sizes ranging
from Aa to Dd and each toolholder will have a number like AD25100. Where A =
the head size, D = the tool holder type, 25 = the tool slot width and height
and 100 = the holder length. As a rule of thumb the Aa size is for 7"
machines, the A size is for 10 - 12" machines, the B size is for 13 -15"
machines, the C size is for 16 -19" machines and the D for 19 - 22"
machines. These are made in Germany, Austria and Switzerland by various
firms like Haase and are usually compatible to each other. New, they are
very expensive. They last forever and are available used at reasonable
prices. I have used them exclusively for 25 years.
Steve

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all:

About four years ago I bought a SB 14" which came with a Haidao 250-222
quick change toolpost, wedge type. What I know about QC toolposts is
what little I've been able to glean from ten minutes searching RCM
archives. So:

1. Where can I purchase additional tool holders? Preferably El Cheapo
brand, I'm not terribly picky. This is, presumably, a 200 series, and
other 200-series holders fit it, correct?

2. I seem to be having some difficulty with keeping the post screwed
down properly. At first there's about two threads that show above the
top nut. But as I loosen and tighten the nut to change the angle, the
threaded stud seems to work its way down, slowly. And it takes more
than a half-turn of the wrench to loosen the nut completely.

I've tried removing nut and the washer under it, and there is another
"nut" that appears to take a spanner wrench with about 1/8" tips (which
tool I do not have). I've tried tightening it with a makeshift tool
but it doesn't appear to have done much good. Do I need to get the
right tool and tighten the thing properly, or does the problem lie
elsewhere?

Thanks for any help,
P'rfesser