Doctor Evil

"John Stumbles" wrote in message

Budget brand tools:

NuTool, JCB, Many DIY shop "own brand tools", Power Devil

Ferm

Mid range tools

Bosh (green bodied), Black & Decker, Skill, Wicks own brand (grey
bodied), Freud, DeWalt

??????
PPPro (B&Q)
Ryobi

High End

Makita, Trend, Bosh (blue bodied), Hitachi, Festool, Fein, Lamello,
Freud, Elu, Metabo, DeWalt

Ryobi
Atlas-Copco/Milwaukee

Panasonic.

Really ought to say something about batteries and chargers(/cookers :-)
since this is a big factor wrt cordless tools and a lot of people don't
pay much attention to them.

The average DIYer is better off with mains drill with torque control for
driving. In most cases a socket is handy. Then no problem of batteries
going kaput and change the whole tool. Unfortunately these tools are not
cheap, but something you may have for 20 plus years, so not that bad. Mains
and battery must be viewed very differently, as mains doesn't date that much
and last far longer and gives more power. And only go battery of you really
need that away from the socket capability, which most DIYers don't

Overall I think this is a general intro but we could do with specifics
of particular tools including corded and cordless drills (e.g. geared
speeds, variable speed, hammer, sds, roto stop, weight, torque limit,
safety clutch, chuck size & type) jigsaws, circular saws, routers, angle
grinders ....

SDS.

In my view a complete drill kit is:

1. mid range 12v drill./driver
2. £80 plus SDS drill with rotary stop
3. cheap 700w general pupose mains hammer drill.

That covers the lot.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download