Harold and Susan Vordos

"Mark Rand" wrote in message
On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 21:55:50 -0800, "Harold and Susan Vordos"

wrote:

Yep! They (PUD, Public Utility District) installed a demand meter. I'm
so far from being able to run the induction furnace at this point I'm not
too concerned, but it's a reality for the future. One of the good

things
is that I have installed twin services, with everything running through

the
single phase service that can be. Shop lights, all receptacles. There

are
no single phase devices of any kind that get metered through the demand
meter. I was told that the cost increase would come at 50 KW, so unless

draw a full load, I could avoid any overcharge. I'll be careful to

keep
the compressor from running when I fire up the induction furnace, and
there's nothing else I'd possibly be doing aside from running it when

it's
in operation. They require almost constant attention (old technology, not
solid state) to monitor power factor, which is constantly changing as the
metal melts.

Unless it's outlawed in your contract you can use a backup generator to

reduce
the loading from the utility. One company I dealt with in the UK (Messrs.
Gilkes Pumps in Kendal) Were _required_ by the utility to use their backup
generator on line when running their test rig at full load.

Mark Rand
RTFM

I don't know that it would be permissible, or not, but I explored the idea
of simply buying a large generator instead of paying for three phase
service. I figured I could use a small rotary phase converter for the
machines, and run only the induction furnace from the generator. When I
found that it would take something like 9 gallons/hour for fuel for a
generator that was large enough to handle the load, I abandoned the idea.
With diesel fuel now at an all time high here in our area $2.75/gallon) I
can't help but think I made a good decision.

Harold