PrecisionMachinisT

"carl mciver" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Machinists" is a general term for all the mechanics, electricians,
plumbers, etc that build the planes. Name of the union, IAM, BTW. In

order
to be a "real" machinist at Boeing, you have to go through an

apprenticeship
which you really have to want in order to get it. I'm thinking about it,
but not willing to take a 25% pay cut in order to get better pay five

years
down the road.

They just are all members of IAM is what they have in common--the
apprentice program really has little bearing.

During the time I was with Boeing, I held at least temporary union
classifications for lathes, milling machines, boring mill, grinding machine,
cnc multiple tool, machine cell operator, maintenance machinist, toolmaker
and probly a few more.

I never went through their apprentice program though--why should I .....that
would have meant substantial pay cut right at the get-go......

But does this all mean Im not *really* a machinist ???

--

SVL