Swingman

"Silvan" wrote in message
Swingman wrote:

vegetable in the supermarket.

You're supposed to peel those off?

Well, you can leave them on, but they're real tough to floss off your
shiny brites. (not a bad idea, though ... just make them edible and
fortified with vitamins).

Besides, like many other "unnecessary complications" in a modern life
dictated by corporate whims, they are there for the convenience of the
corporation, not the customer.

Well, you can argue both sides of this one. For the convenience of the
corporation, yes, by allowing computerized scanning and whatnot. For the
convenience of the customer too, though, so your cashier doesn't have to
remember 700 PLU numbers, or sit there flipping through a stack of cards
every time you bring some wierd Chinese vegetable to the register.

OK, by gawd ... let's argue.

Cashiers worthy of the name were once required to know/memorize produce
prices. Now, since the MBA mentality has made it an ultra low wage position,
the register is often smarter than the cashier. I am actually inconvenienced
more often by waiting for a price check from someone in front of me, or by
the need for a "manager" to take some action or other that the cashier can
no longer handle.

Net result ... I spend no less time in check out than in the past.

Saves
you, the customer, time.

Not when I get them home and start to cook ... I lose any time that might
have been saved at check-out getting the damned labels OFF.

Besides, the check-out lines are longer than ever because of reduced
staffing, more than making up for any saved time by puttting labels on each
damn vegetable, the application of same which is built-in to price I must
pay ... thanks again to the corporate, MBA mentality.

Net result ... I was much better, in both time and money, with dumber
vegetables and smarter cashiers!

Having a sticker on everything also decreases
your chances of getting charged incorrectly when the cashier doesn't know

winesap from a McIntosh from a red delicious too, or can't tell the
difference between celery and cilantro, or lettuce and cabbage.

As a prudent, price conscious, informed consumer, that's MY job.

I know, I know ... there aren't that many of us left.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04