Silvan

Tim Douglass wrote:

Eye protection has always been the big bugaboo. I wear glasses and
there just aren't any good forms of eye protection that are
comfortable for long-term wear. Any type of goggles will fog up with
the slightest exertion, not to mention the amount of distortion they

I agree on goggles. Hate'em. The alternative, though, isn't foolproof. I
had to pay a visit to my opthamologist after I scratched my cornea while
weedeating wearing a pair of Weed Eater brand safety glasses with
wrap-around side shields, wrap-around top shield and the whole nine yards.
The bit of rock, twig, whatever, went up at an angle underneath, zipping
past my nose.

It's a real conundrum. Goggles would have prevented that, but, as you say,
they fog up with the slightest exertion. The little holes and vents and
whatnot don't work worth a damn. Various anti-fog salves and balms help
slightly, but they only buy you a few moments before you have to remove
them and de-fog. They don't come anywhere near solving the problem.

Dust protection is another difficult one, especially for those of us
of a hirsute inclination. Dust masks work OK for most stuff, but you
have to get to some real dollars to get something that is useful for
organic vapors. Generally you are looking at either a hood type

Yup. Nothing really works. I feel like a dust mask actually forces me to
inhale *more* dust, because it concentrates it at the interface between
beard and mask. The alternative looks unwieldy, but more importantly,
those hood things are frickin EXPENSIVE. It's a problem I wish I could
solve, but it's kind of a question of weighing the risk of occasional dust
inhalation against having SWMBO perpetually ****ed off at me for shaving
the beard. She *likes* the beard.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan