basil

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 23:46:24 GMT, "al"
wrote:

"al" wrote in message news:...

What are my options now? Can you knock sections out and put a "chunk" of
plaster back in? Should I ignore it, fill the fine cracks with Pollyfilla
and paper over it? I'm not sure what's behind it - would it be the
skimmed plaster and plasterboard be behind or could it just be thin
plasterboard? It's a 1930's house if that's relevant.

After reading a little further, I believe the second option I was referring
to is called dry lining. Would this have been done 70 years ago?

Do you think there is plasterboard behind because it all sounds
hollow? If so its because the plaster has detatched itself from the
bricks. Its probably bowed out in the middle and will eventulay all
fall off anyway. In your situation I replastered about 2/3 of the
house but I wasnt living there. You could maybe do the one room but
its going to be messy. If you do just patches I believe people inject
PVA glue into the gap behind to try to hold the old plaster in place.
If the gap is over 1/2 inch then that would be pointless I think.

BTW some 1930's houses did have plasterboard ceilings and stud
partitions but this is not related to your problem. Dry lining is a
modern thing not 1930's.

Basil