andrewpreece

"al" wrote in message
.uk...
... a bit of the wall wanted to come with it! Was using a steamer at the
time and the plaster behind the paper bubbled right out. Held it against
the wall until it cooled down and dried a bit. Now it's completely dry,
it's still in one piece, but cracked a bit and definitely not sound (it
pushes back a couple of mm).

What are my options now? Can you knock sections out and put a "chunk" of
plaster back in? Should I ignore it, fill the fine cracks with Pollyfilla
and paper over it? I'm not sure what's behind it - would it be the

skimmed
plaster and plasterboard be behind or could it just be thin plasterboard?
It's a 1930's house if that's relevant.

Knock out the blown plaster ( carefully ) and go and buy some plaster, or
maybe
polyfilla will do if they say it's alright for the thickness involved, and
patch it. It's not
possible to 'feather' in plaster invisibly, so there'll be a slight line
where the new meets old,
but nothing that'll notice behind wall paper. Polyfilla is much better for
feathering in.

Patching a small area of plaster is not that difficult unless you're all
thumbs. As for
plasterboard in a 70 year old house, I'm not sure, but I'd lean towards
lathe and plaster
rather than plasterboard.