Mark Rand

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 21:55:50 -0800, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

Yep! They (PUD, Public Utility District) installed a demand meter. I'm
so far from being able to run the induction furnace at this point I'm not
too concerned, but it's a reality for the future. One of the good things
is that I have installed twin services, with everything running through the
single phase service that can be. Shop lights, all receptacles. There are
no single phase devices of any kind that get metered through the demand
meter. I was told that the cost increase would come at 50 KW, so unless I
draw a full load, I could avoid any overcharge. I'll be careful to keep
the compressor from running when I fire up the induction furnace, and
there's nothing else I'd possibly be doing aside from running it when it's
in operation. They require almost constant attention (old technology, not
solid state) to monitor power factor, which is constantly changing as the
metal melts.

Unless it's outlawed in your contract you can use a backup generator to reduce
the loading from the utility. One company I dealt with in the UK (Messrs.
Gilkes Pumps in Kendal) Were _required_ by the utility to use their backup
generator on line when running their test rig at full load.

Mark Rand
RTFM