Dave Hinz

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 23:50:05 -0800, Fly-by-Night CC wrote:
In article ,
bkr wrote:

I have a couple of different cans of varnish that I opened and dispensed
into smaller containers for use. Now the varnish has hardened in all
the various conatiners, whether sealed or not. I know it has to do with
reaction to the air, but I don't know how to prevent it. I've seen a
couple threads that I think suggested adding some other chemical to the
can that wouldn't mix with the varnish but would displace the air.

As others have mentioned, it's the oxygen in contact with the varnish
that's causing it to cure in the can. You need to:

a) eliminate as much oxygen as possible by replacing it with an inert
gas like nitrogen, propane as others have suggested tho I've never
tried, or a commercial product like Bloxygen.

Eeehhhhh... top it off with propane/atmosphere. The propane settles
down to the top of the finish, the atmosphere floats on top, away from
the product. No reason to turn this into a project.