Harold and Susan Vordos

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
In article ,
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

snip-

What I would be more concerned about with that length is
possible loss of control of speaker overtravel, thanks to the added
resistance.

That's something I didn't understand. I guess that relates to a systems
ability to dampen. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

That helps. My wife won't listen to classical, though I used
to. But we are pretty much in agreement for the rest. (And we met
through the local Folklore Society. :-)

Too bad she hasn't warmed up to the classics. That kind of listening really
has a place, at least in our lives.

It took me years to come around. I was never exposed as a young person, so
it was all very strange to me. Thanks to certain recording in the mid
60's, some jazz musicians recorded certain classical compositions. It more
or less lead me to start listening, along with a couple of acquaintances
that had very good taste in music. Didn't take me long to figure out that
the composers of the baroque era were really the jazz cats of their time.

And you certainly would not wish to subject good vinyl
recordings to the mangling from a changer.

Exactly. Regardless of how they may be perceived by others, to me they are
valuable and in some cases not available on other formats. I cherish each
and every record I have and intend to have them available for play in the
future. I'm not one of those that think they're better than a CD, not even
as good as far as I'm concerned, but if that's the only way I can have a
given performance, I'd rather have it that way than not have it. Not all
old recordings have been remastered, as you likely know.

They seem to have dropped the kits, anyway, and are now selling
only pre-built ones. (Hafler was the designer of the Dynaco amplifier
kits, before he started his own company.)

Here is the URL for their web site:

http://www.hafler.com/

Thanks for the link, which I will pursue as quickly as possible, if for no
other reason, to get a better understanding. It's highly unlikely I'd make
any decisions before finishing the house, not wanting to add anything to my
plate at this time. I'm already wasting too much time talking with everyone
on RCM, which I thoroughly enjoy. I've learned a great deal along the way,
too.

I was playing with electroncs long before I got a chance at
machine tools. The shop class in high school only taught woodworking,
which was not a good fit for me.

I share that with you. I've never enjoyed working with wood.

It was not until I was working at an
Army R&D lab that I got a chance to learn machining from a couple of
resident machinists -- and I have been glad that I did. (Of course,
before that, I was trying to do things like building a tape deck for
10-1/2" reels from scratch -- mostly with hand tools and an electric
drill motor -- and files and coping saws. :-)

After looking at the high level of precision used in building the Crown we
own, and the sophisticated controls it has, I can't even begin to understand
how a novice would go about building such a device. I really admire your
courage! I trust you were not successful, not with hand tools. g

Harold