Ernie Leimkuhler

Default A sad day at school.

Well it finally happened.
We are officially liquidating the Machine shop at South Seattle
Community College.
Most of the equipment has already been tagged by various departments
and some other colleges.
In the Welding department, we will be upgrading to a newer, nicer
Bridgeport Mill with more attachments, and a nice LeBlond Regal Lathe
will be replacing our ancient and massive 1936 Monarch AA.

I spent 6 hours today sorting through boxes and cabinets, grabbing and
tagging any tooling we might want.

I felt like a cross between a Viking raider and a vulture picking the
flesh off a carcass.

All the shops on campus will be getting a Bridgeport mill and a LeBlond
lathe from the Machine shop.
Whatever we don't take is scheduled to go to Spokane Community College.

Found lots of stuff that had been squirreled away over the many years
the shop was in operation.

More large taps than I was prepared for.
There are still about 1000 lbs of BIG drillbits we have yet to sort
through.

The only machines that nobody wants so far are the BIG, I MEAN BIGGG,
horizontal boring machine, 4 horizontal Harding mills, and a really
nice Cincinati Bickford column drillpress.
Believe me I wish we had room for that drill press.

Whatever is left over from shops on campus and other schools, will go
to the Washington State Salvage operation.

They are taking some of the machines and tooling down to the Duwamish
branch campus to set up a small machine shop for teaching contract
classes.
It will be mostly CNC machines.

I knew this was coming, but it still was a shock to actually have to
deal with it today.