Stormin Mormon

More counsell.... part two.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
www.mormons.com

"ProdigySBC_SUX" wrote in message
om...
I had replaced the coil and gotten spark back to the plug but it still
wasn't starting. While the plug looked good, I still went and bought
another. The 'old' plug was indeed one of the flavors that has the resistor
to cut down EMI.

When I put the new plug in it started. However, it ran rough and very
finicky. When I started using it it would stall very easily. I got about
30 minutes useage out of it and had to start it about 15 times. Each time
it got progressively worse and finally it wouldn't start at all.
CY: Wow, something getting worse, there. Wish I was there to work on it with
y ou.

As I was putting it away, I noticed there was some oil dripping onto the
deck that appeared to be coming from somewhere around where the carburetor
attached to the engine. (I am very sketchy on this as I was in a rush and
haven't gone back and looked more closely.) I had not had the lawnmower
tilted or flipped that day.
CY: Makes me wonder if that's the cover which covers the ends of the valves?

[I still need to check the flywheel key as sugested by Stormin Mormon.]
CY: yes, good thing to check.

[Q: If running the oil/gas mixture in the 4-cycle fouled my valves, could
pulling the plug and filling the cylinder or spraying lots of carb cleaner
in the plug hole (while ocasionally rotating engine shaft to insure the
valves were open sometimes) at least partially clean the valves?]
CY: I doubt it. But it might rinse all the oil off the cylinder wall. I had
a neighbor of my dad's try to start Dad's generator by squirting ether in
the spark plug hole. Dried the cylinder wall, set up the engine good and
solid. I got it busted loose, and then it ran long enough to throw a piston
rod.

On a related note and a different thread, I bought a lawnmower from somebody
else here that was sold as 'not running'. I only paid $10 for it and was
hoping that maybe between the two I could put one together and have a
running mower. It however sounds real sick when I crank it and was probably
$10 wasted....
CY: Either that, or we can coach you through fixing both mowers. You can
sell the other one for $40, and have learned some skills that will last a
life time.