Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Dee"
wrote:

The resident will be a snake.

In that case, use silicone. Easier to find and cheaper than the UV
cure stuff, and you'll never notice the fillet amongst the snake
bedding. I thought you were making furniture.

2' cube sounds pretty small though - what's the snake ?

So no water and no weight problem.

Don't be so sure about "no weight". I've seen a couple of vivaria
where people have built them light "because they weren't full of
water", then cracked them by putting in a big basking rock.

Glazier still insists I use plate glass.

He probably means tempered glass.

It will be in a public area.

In that case you probably do want tempered glass. At home I wouldn't
bother. For a big or venomous snake, use laminated glass. I know a
reticulated python (now a handbag, evil little *******) that used to
break the front panel out of its tank when it fancied a walk.

So I guess just buy the right sizes

Get a sheet of 6mm MDF first and make a prototype. MDF is cheaper and
easier to cut than glass.

Get holes drilled for the hinged side.

You'll also want some ventilation. As you want some degree of radiant
heat to permit basking, then there's a problem that an unventilated
box will be a snake baker (even rattlesnakes get heatstroke, if they
can't hide). I'd think about gluing glass strips to the top edge and
spacing the lid up on it.
--
Smert' spamionam