John/Charleston

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 12:01:19 -0500, Mark wrote:

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:50:49 +0000 (UTC), (Rich Greenberg)
wrote:

In article ,
John/Charleston wrote:

that's good to know. I'd just as soon as pump whatever oil is left
out of the tank rather than let it seep into the local aquifer but
once that's done I'd just as soon leave the empty tank where it is.
I've already built my new porch so there won't be anything else going
on there. I could probably buy a simple pump with some aquarium
tubing and pump it out but I'll call a heating oil co for suggestions.

Not a good idea to leave the empty tank there. It will eventually rust
out and the back yard will collapse in, probably while someone (like
you) is walking over it. After the oil is removed, look into filling
the tank with foam or sand, or even better dig it up and remove it.

Just fill it with sand now yourself. Get a truckload delivered and slowly
fill it up on weekends. Saves you a ton of cash, it will be safe from
collapses, absorbs the oil to prevent it from going too far, and saves the
foolish EPA grief.

I've actually found out that the earlier poster, "Bill" is right; as a
homeowner I'm not required to do anything about it. Still, for
environmental reasons I'm having the remaining oil pumped out today.
Then I'll likely fill it with sand whether I get a truckload or bags
from Lowes.
Thanks for all replies!
John