Richard Sterry

Default Noisy wife ..

T i m wrote:
On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 13:41:08 +0100, "Richard Sterry"
wrote:

Ta ;-) (I don't *do* polishing ..furniture / cars or otherwise) ;-)

Me neither - I reserve the Mister Sheen for cleaning helmet visors,
lubricating squeaky belts, sticky loft ladders and curtain rails. :-)

So what *is* Mr Sheen then .. *just* silicone ..? (ie, there isn't a
better raw supply of whatever-it-is at the price .. are there any
other ingredients that may have an adverse affect on some materials
.. like a perfume for example?)

I use Bob Heah visor cleaner and just soapy water on the cash helmet
;-)

Mister Sheen must contain a whole variety of substances, including
detergents and heaven knows what else. As for Silicone itself, one
definition I found is:

"Any of a variety of polymeric organic silicon compounds. Siloxane polymers
consisting of alternate silicon and oxygen atoms with various organic
radicals attached to the silicon."

Yes, as I said earlier, you can get Silicone sprays which are more geared(!)
towards stopping squeaks, rather than cleaning your furniture. A quick
Google search for "silicone belt spray" will pull up some examples. You
might even find something in your local car accessory store or machine tool
suppliers. Halfords do a plastic/rubber lubricant spray, (in yellow cans
matching the ones containing spray oil), which I used for the toothed drive
belt on my garage door mechanism. The jury is still out as to its
effectiveness.

Let us know how you go on.

Rick (F650GS / R1150GS)