Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Dee"
wrote:

Hi Group, help please!

You didn't Google did you ? Thread a couple of months ago on
"Glueing Glass"

I want to build a glass-walled cube. One side removable/hinged.
I will be using plate glass (6mm approx)

"Plate" glass isn't used these days, and you wouldn't like the price
anyway. Modern glass is all float glass. You need a couple of square
metres, which will be pretty cheap, even with the edges polished. If
you want it tempered, then that costs more and takes longer, but it's
still affordable.

It is hard to find a glass supplier though. Most no longer cut glass,
they just sell things from factories. Many aren't interested in
anything other than standard windows, or profitable commercial work.
You'll be doing a lot of phoning before you find a good one (I'd
recommend Roman Glass in Bristol)

The cube is to be 2 ft. square.

So components are six pieces of plate glass each one 2ft x 2ft.

If you make them all exactly the same size, then it's hard to
assemble. Adjust the sizes to compensate for the overlaps

Now, the problem is how to 'stick' the joints.

Loctite 358

You'll also need hinges (stock items from a good supplier, like Isac
Lord) They can be either glued or drilled. Get the glass supplier to
drill the glass before they polish the edges.

(DIY of course - no melting of glass!!)

That _is_ DIY. Last weekend I was plasma-cutting it.