James Hart

Default Idle thoughts re generators

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
David W.E. Roberts wrote:

"Neil Jones" wrote in message

As I was thinking about backup power the other day the following
train of thought occurred to me:-

1. Generators are available powered by diesel or petrol

2. Petrol car engines are easily converted to run on LPG

3. My gas hob is easily switched between natural gas and LPG

So I was wondering whether or not it is possible to get a petrol
generator running off LPG, and if so, could it be further converted
to run off mains gas?

No plans to actually implement this but I'd be interested if it's
technically possible/prohibitively expensive/specifically precluded
by regulation etc.

Thanks

Neil

What you want is a steam turbine.
Heat the water with a gas jet.

Or a model jet turbine. These run typically off propane to start
anyway.

This way of burning natural gas (gas turbine) is I think already in
use in some CHP power stations.

Can be used for cooling as well, http://www.asciimation.co.nz/beer/

--
James...