Boris Beizer

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 12:50:23 -0600, Jon Elson

wrote:
Grady wrote:
.0015" McMaster-Carr most likely has this, too. The assortment packs
are usually something like 4 x 8" sheets.

The assortment packs I have seen, and have, are all 6" x 12". Of course,
you almost always run out of one size or another. For slightly bigger
quantities, there are various makes of shim-in-a-can. A roll of one size in
a round can between a V-8 and soup can.

When I was over in England, I was introduced to "peelable shims", but I
haven't seen them since. Steel sandwich of shim stock, glued together.
Peel off as few or as many as needed to get the desired thickness. Does
anyone know the real name for these, or were they a figment of my
imagination?

Not your imagination. Great stuff when you need to sneak up on a
particular shim. Shaping it is the problem. Snips are only good for very
thin sections because the edges peel away and delaminate. Put the
laminated shim between two sheets of brass, say and machine the lot to
shape. Wonderful stuff at wonderful prices -- I think it is measured in
dollars/square-inch. I have a few small pieces that I got out of a scrap
bin from a guy who thought it was just inferior brass. When you see the
price it makes you think twice about using this stuff.

Boris