On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 16:11:57 GMT, someone wrote:

We are building a house that is about 2200 sq ft. The kitchen and
utility room are at one end and the bedroom/bathrooms are at the
other. We want to consider either installing two hot water
heaters(one in each end) or a circulating hot water system.

Oh jeez for the same money, DEFINITELY get two water heaters. More
capacity, doing dishes (where was the washer again?) doesn't effect
the shower, no constant small heating loop fired by your water heater
(that's what the circulating loop becomes) running 24/7 to use energy
(well, in heating season its helping you out with heat, but if you
have an A/C season....) I think normally this will use more than the
standby loss on the 2nd heater.

In any case, 2200 s.f. seems like a pretty small house to have the two
ends so far away that one heater in the middle wouldn't do the trick.
My house is 83 feet long and the heater (there actually are two, but
they are together in series) is more or less in the middle and its not
that big a deal to get hot water.

But if you have to choose, for the same $, get the 2 heaters.