meirman

In alt.home.repair on Sun, 27 Feb 2005 19:39:49 -0600
(lp13-30) posted:

Wow-- That is a blast from the past. My mother also bought a new
Whirlpool washer right around 1958. I remember now hearing the term
"Susmiser". I don't think she ever used it though. What I do remember is
that the machine lit up like a juke box-- it was beautiful when it was
on in the dark (it was in the garage) Also, it had an electrically
operated latch on the lid, which quit working after a few years-- my
mother would open it by giving it a whack with her fist right in the
center of the lid. The timer had a chain that moved the indicator across
a horizontal panel that indicated the cycles. The first time the chain
jumped off, in about 1963, I watched the repairman fix it (I was 12) and
then I fixed it myself the next 3 or 4 tines it jumped off. She finally
bought a new machine in about 1966-- a Sears that was a much more basic
machine. I think my Dad picked out the fancy W/P machine.

Sounds like the same model. My mother picked it out. Washer and
dryer, both pink. Few or no lights though. Had it for 9 years in
Indianapolis and another 10 in Allentown. Sold them for 50 dollars
each when she moved to a place with not enough space. They were good
as new. (Except when they moved to Pa. from Ind., they had to unload
the moving van in Ohio. A trucker's strike had just started in Pa.
and the truckers were shooting at non-union drivers. After the strike
they reloaded my mother's stuff, and bashed in one rear to corner of
the dryer.)

I later had an old whirlpool, but didn't use it often enough, and the
main bearing holding the basket rusted shut. For one reason or
another I probably went a month or two once without using it. If I
had used it more often, would have lasted 10 more years.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.