Kathy

"orangetrader" wrote in message
While I am contemplating how to fix the drain problem with our washer, I
have connected the washer to a flex tube and discharge the laundry water

out
the garage.

I've been following this thread with interest because in the neighborhood
that I live in, there are more than a couple houses that I know of that
discharge laundry water and sump pump discharge into the street. The
municipality won't stop it because they are the same people that won't make
city-sewer available to this area of town. It's such an old neighborhood
that some of the homes don't even have a septic "system", just a cesspool.
The neighborhood was built as a seasonal escape from the city so a cesspool
under an outhouse wasn't a problem. In fact indoor plumbing came after the
oldest remaining homes had been built. After my house had been built circa
1927. City water was made available in the 70's after a few wells got
contaminated by the septic fields. You see, the area is also clay marl. It
never drained well and as the years went by it just got worse. You can no
longer get a permit for a septic systm around here so unless you are willing
to pay about 30k, not including the plumbing between your house and the
drainline, to hook up to the nearest sewer main(which happens to be private)
you are **** out of luck. How ironic. My septic has been fine for the 14
years I've been here but there are times of year when the water table gets
so high that the septic field won't drain entirely and stays soggy. And my
laundry water drains into a brick lined drywell. So a few families draining
laundry water into the street and storm drains gets overlooked. We had an
association about 10 years ago and tried to get something done about the
problem but the lawyers ate up the funds faster than we could raise them. We
got know by the local press as the "sewer people" and never made any
headway. Christie Whitman eased the wetlands regulations quite a bit and the
DEPE got soft. You can't even get them to enforce ther own rules. Oh, and
BTW, the fine for cutting down a tree in a wetlands area is $250. and you
don't even have to replace the tree. What a joke. This whole ****ing state
is a joke.
rant halted