OldNick

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 22:01:13 -0800, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Ok. You spent your self-employed career in a one-car garage. And now
retired, you can get what you _want_

You won Lotto, or we admire your business acumen!

On the other hand it really sounds that the old saying "the cobbler
has ratty shoes" may well fit here! G

I am going to be a real PITA here, to myself and others. I have a 50'
* 30' * 12' shed that is sitting doing nothing, while I fill up a 20'
x 20' "shed" with my gear.

Trouble is, I have to get 350 yards of power lead to the big shed.

BAH!

Harold. Regarding the amps vs speaker wire thing. I would seriously
look at using signal lead, well-shielded and earthed and driving a new
amp, over running the power to speakers. If you have a listening room,
that's where you listen. The shed will prob. have **** acoustics, and
you are already distorting the sound if you introduce other sounds,
even if you raise the whole thing to tinnitus levels G

A halfway decent amp will be better than all the crap you are going to
do to achieve controllable music in the shop. Crickey! Use an FM
transmitter! G

You have full control over volume. You can, if you wish, enter into a
full-fledged equaliser to compensate for room acoustics, volume, etc
etc. All onsite.

No matter what LPad you use, if it will handle the power or not, your
Macintosh/speaker is being aurally abused by using it. It's simple
passive resistive stuff in a complex system that as you have read is
far from passive.

I admit that I have also started to subscribe to the "listen to the
music, not the sound" school. If you are so tied up with the system,
are you enjoying the music? I have just listened to some classical
stuff on a $50 ****-box. It definitely stole from the experience. But
even my boppy, tin-eared wife could understand the difference, so it
was extreme. _AND_ I still liked the music. With something _good_, but
not from Big Mc, the Law of Diminishing Returns bites hard. Add in
environmental shortcomings, and you multiply that.

I spent my entire self employed machining career in that one car garage.
Lots of super work, but nowhere to stand. I vowed I'd have a nice shop
when I retired. Outside dimensions, 32' X 80', with 12' ceilings. I do
have some RV storage in the building, formed by an 8" concrete block wall
that splits the building inside. There's a man door that permits inside
access. The air compressor and built in vacuum cleaner reside on that side,
so you don't have to hear them running. They are in their own room. Shop
space is now (inside) 30' 4" by about 52'. Great shop, with nothing to
do! g